What is Dragon Professional and what is it used for?
Dragon software delivers accurate speech recognition to convert spoken words to text. It is used by corporate executives, mobile/field workers, professional services personnel, lawyers, students, and retirees to capture text “in the moment” instead of relying on note-taking or transcribing audio files at a later time.
How does Dragon work?
Dragon is AI-powered speech recognition technology enabled by language and acoustic models to recognise the human voice. Modern speech recognition is, at heart, a high-speed statistical modelling exercise where the context of a speakers words in a complete sentence are used to predict the next word in the sentence. For this reason, you will notice Dragon will often listen to an entire sentence before transcribing text to the screen. A good example of this in practice is when homophones like “whether” and “weather” are used. In isolation, Dragon might have trouble knowing which spelling to use – but as part of a complete sentence, Dragon can understand the context and use the correct word. The use by Dragon of Deep Learning technology helps maximise accuracy in instances like this.
What is new in Dragon 16?
Dragon v16 is first designed for Windows 11. It includes numerous updates and enhancements surrounding support for Microsoft Office like “Modern Comments” when editing documents, support for commands in Microsoft Teams, accessibility updates, enhanced support of Dragon for common hardware configurations and PowerMic 4 compatibility.
Make easy work of document creation
Dragon eliminates barriers to productivity and creativity by letting you interact with your computer by voice. It turns your spoken thoughts into text and your voice commands into action so you don’t have to worry about the mechanics of typing and spelling.
Make edits and apply formatting using your voice to make easy work of document creation.
- Automate business processes - Create macros to automate multi-step workflows or business processes via simple voice commands.
- Optimised for Microsoft® Windows 11 - Optimised for Windows 11, Dragon now extends Windows 11’s stellar accessibility experience to document creation and command & control functionality.
- Accents and noisier environments - Optimal accuracy can now be achieved for speakers with different accents or for those in slightly noisy environments such as cubicles.
- Lower the risk of repetitive strain injuries - Dragon prevents fatigue and repetitive strain injuries by offering a comfortable, ergonomic alternative to the keyboard and mouse.
Work your way for maximum efficiency
Imagine saying “Insert Signature” and Dragon fills in your contact details or dictating industry-specific terminology and Dragon types every word correctly - every time. With advanced personalisation features, like the ability to create Custom Commands and import Custom Vocabularies, Dragon Professional intelligently adapts to the way you work for big productivity gains.
- Get even better accuracy as Dragon continually adapts to your voice
- Customise words and commands to reflect your personal preferences
- Short-cut repetitive processes using simple voice commands
Dictate anywhere, transcribe back at your desktop
Don’t fall behind on paperwork due to business travel if your preference is to work with a recorder by voice. With Dragon Professional you can record your voice into an audio file and Dragon will automatically transcribe the recordings when you connect to your desktop.
- No more scribbling notes on paper; record thoughts and ideas on the go
- Improve documentation accuracy by capturing more detailed notes
- Save time and eliminate reliance on costly transcription services
- Another option to stay productive no matter where your job takes you
Optimised for Windows 11
While fully Windows 10 compatible, Dragon Professional 16 has undergone a colossal, year-long rearchitecting and reengineering of its code to ensure optimisation for the new Windows 11 operating system. A decided benefit to Nuance having been acquired by Microsoft in March of 2022 is the unprecedented access to Microsoft development assets it afforded the Dragon engineering team. The result is a Dragon that is ideally engineered for today and future-proofed for tomorrow by being supported on, certified, and optimised for Windows 11.
- Supports both Windows 11 and 10 operating systems
- Successfully leverages advancements made in Windows 11
- Aligns with the global migration of Windows PC infrastructure to Windows 11
Long known for its state-of-the-art adaptations for those with physical and cognitive disabilities, Dragon's latest upgrade furthers its commitment to the disability inclusion movement with new features like the ability to use Mouse Grid on multiple monitors. And built with accessibility requirements in mind, Dragon can be easily adapted as needed to meet the most stringent compliance requirements for accessibility or industry reporting. The new Dragon Professional 16 is perfect for helping organisations of all sizes take full advantage of their workforce and for building an inclusive workplace.
- Mouse Grid on multiple monitors is critical in increasing the efficiency for those with physical disabilities working with large amount of information
- Still stocked with longstanding accessibilities like "Play That Back" proofreading of dictated text, Dragon Professional 16 sets a new standard for accessibility functionality
Faster and more accurate than ever
Dragon Professional 16 expands the possibilities of speech recognition innovation with a next-generation speech engine representing the culmination of 25-years worth of tireless progress and technology advancements. Dragon uniquely brings consistent, optimal accuracy to the PC, with Deep Learning technology and adaptation techniques that continuously adjust to your voice or environmental variations, even while you’re dictating. Dragon Professional 16:
Delivers up to 99% speech recognition accuracy
- With its new engine, you get optimal accuracy for speakers with accents or in slightly noisy environments such as in a cubicle environment
- Get highly accurate speech recognition results right out of the box with no training required
Provides a personalised voice-driven experience
- Enjoy personalised accuracy; Dragon learns the words and phrases you use the most
- Further enhance accuracy with optional advanced training or analysis of existing documents and emails
Performs with fast response times and minimal latency
- Talk at normal speeds and see words appear on the screen almost instantly
- Receive immediate feedback on what you say so you can check it right away
- Never lose a beat in your train of thought; Dragon captures your ideas as fast as you can speak them
Best ever locally running desktop recognition accuracy
- Continuous learning - even during dictation - for individually adapted accuracy improvements that enhance the user experience
- Optimal accuracy achieved for speakers with accents or in slightly noisy environments such as in a cubicle environment
- Support for the latest applications
Another benefit to being a Microsoft company is unfettered access to the latest applications for the purpose of integration and support. Because Dragon’s effectiveness is tied to how well it integrates with other applications, it's critical that Dragon supports the latest versions just as it's critical that you have the most current version of Dragon. Dragon Professional 16 provides:
- New support for Office 2021 while still supporting Office 2016/2019
- New support for Microsoft Teams commands
- New support for “Modern Comments” in Microsoft Word dictation
- New support for Corel WordPerfect 2021
Improved high-resolution monitor support
Dragon Professional 16 has been enhanced to support common hardware configurations including those with high-resolution monitors. Yet another example of Dragon staying ahead of the technology curve.
Use your voice to dictate documents or enter text anywhere you normally type
Dragon eliminates barriers to productivity and creativity by letting you interact with your computer by voice. It turns your spoken thoughts into text and your voice commands into action so you don’t have to worry about the mechanics of typing and spelling. You can easily switch between keyboard, mouse and voice so you can use the mode of input you prefer for any given task.
Dragon not only lets you dictate up to three times faster than typing, but it also allows you to make edits and apply formatting using your voice. You can select text and apply formatting such as bold, underline, capitals and more, or just speak to make needed changes. Smart Format Rules automatically adapt to how you want abbreviations, dates, phone numbers and more to appear, so you don’t have to correct them every time.
Dragon gives you robust voice command and control as well as Enhanced Dictation (or Full Text Control), for fully voice-driven editing and command capabilities within many popular business applications that you use every day. Create documents such as reports, emails, forms and notes and zip through computer tasks in record time.
Create custom words and vocabulary
Dragon Professional easily learns acronyms, proper names and other unique or business-specific phrases that you frequently use so it captures your unique words the way you want. In addition, you can import and export your custom word lists.
Create custom voice commands for inserting frequently-used text and graphics
With Dragon Professional, it’s quick and easy to create custom voice commands. This feature lets you insert a standard reply, a signature block, a logo, a form template or other boilerplate content by speaking a simple command for significant time savings.
Automate business processes with time-saving macros
Create macros to automate multi-step workflows or business processes via simple voice commands. For example, send an email to your sales distribution list, copy the senior management team, and print a hard copy for your files by saying something like, “Send standard sales distribution email.”
Transcribe your recordings from audio files
Dragon Professional supports digital voice recorders and smart phones for advanced recording functionality and can automatically transcribe the audio files to text back at your PC. It leverages all the accuracy improvements gained from the state-of-the-art speech recognition engine for fewer post-corrections.
The transcription process features a fully streamlined setup for your own voice. Because acoustic and language model adaptation are automatically leveraged for the current user, no special training is required.
Dragon Professional lets you work the way you want to optimise your productivity while on the road.
Work easily on popular form factors including touchscreens
Dragon is optimised for popular form factors such as portable touchscreen PCs so you can experience new levels of documentation productivity on the go. It’s great for today’s new PCs including highly mobile devices with hybrid touch and keyboard interaction modes.
Command and control your computer by voice for convenience and comfort
Launch applications, select menu items, press keys, switch between windows, search the Web, create and send emails and more all by voice, if you wish. Dragon Professional gives you the flexibility to:
- Work hands-free, if desired
- Experience more ergonomic comfort when working on your computer
- Feel less stress and strain on your body
- Multitask by using your voice to dictate and execute commands
Simplify proofreading with natural-sounding text-to-speech or audio playback
Dragon’s text-to-speech capability is a natural-sounding synthesised voice that reads designated text to you, thereby simplifying proofreading and supporting new levels of multi-tasking. With Dragon Professional, you can also listen to audio playback of your own dictation with the associated text highlighted on the screen.
Choose your microphone option for freedom and flexibility
With automatic microphone detection, Dragon Professional will conveniently show you which microphones are available for you to use. Because Dragon lets you use multiple audio device types within the same profile, you can easily switch to another microphone while keeping all your personalised preferences for accuracy and formatting. This feature is useful if, for example, you use a USB microphone at home, a wireless microphone at work and your laptop’s built-in microphone when you’re on the go.
With Dragon Professional, you have the option to use:
- Microphones built into many of the latest laptops: You’re free to dictate documents and speak commands directly into your laptop without using a headset
- Wireless Bluetooth microphone: Use a Nuance-certified Bluetooth headset microphone for outstanding wireless performance and the freedom to move while working on your computer
- Nuance PowerMic 4: Use a Nuance PowerMic 4 with full-function, Microsoft® compatible, PC mouse capabilities incorporated into the microphone to reduce the need to move between microphone, mouse, and keyboard
Extend accessibility and prevent repetitive stress injuries
Dragon Professional eliminates barriers for individual workers with disabilities that limit their ability to use a keyboard and mouse. In addition, it helps prevent fatigue and repetitive strain injuries by offering a comfortable, ergonomic alternative to the keyboard and mouse.
Even easier to get started and master
Dragon Professional makes it easy to get started with speech recognition and to become proficient quickly with regular use. It’s also simple to explore more advanced features that can boost your productivity even further.
Dragon offers multiple ways to accelerate mastery and get the most out of your speech recognition investment - even offering productivity tips and helping you discover advanced Dragon features. You can take advantage of:
- Helpful tutorials make it easy to become productive right away
- An intuitive design provides easy access to a rich and powerful feature set for ever-increasing productivity gains
- Contextual guidance tailored to your usage will help you maximise the power of Dragon and complete documentation more efficiently than ever before
How accurate is Dragon software?
Up to 99% accuracy from the start and it will improve by adapting to your voice as you use it.
How do I install Dragon?
Just click on the install link in your order confirmation email following your purchase. You will then be guided through the installation process.
How many PCs can I install Dragon on?
Dragon Professional licenses are per user, not per machine. A licensed speaker is permitted to create and use multiple voice profiles, and these voice profiles can be activated on two separate machines.
What kind of microphone can I use with Dragon?
Dragon can be used with a wide variety of microphones (including built into a laptop), although we typically recommend a high-quality usb microphone/headset, our Dragon Bluetooth headset, or our PowerMic 4 microphone.
What recorders are compatible with Dragon?
Dragon will recognise most formats of audio. The type of device is not relevant.
How do I move my Dragon licence from my old computer to my new computer?
Uninstall the software from your current computer whilst connected to the internet and the Nuance activation server will return your licence to you. You are then free to install on another computer.
Where can I find a user guide/training videos?
They are contained within the Dragon application itself. Additional resources can be accessed via our Training and Tutorials tab or at https://www.nuance.com/dragon/support.