Lex - re-colour, re-format, annotate, magnify, read, import, convert, bookmark... your perfect dyslexia reading aid!
What is Lex?
Lex is a specially designed software package for dyslexic users and users with learning difficulties that allows them to quickly acquire or import their documents and then convert them into a viewing style or document format that makes them far easier and faster to read and comprehend.
This includes colour adjustments, (colour replacement and tinting), line spacing adjustment, 6 viewing modes (visualisations), custom highlighting and many more.
Users can also have their documents read out loud in any one of 26 languages with the latest human sounding voices.
When purchased with the recommended LexCam, users can capture documents at up to 20 pages per minute, then store them on their PC, laptop or Mac* and never need the physical book or document again!
Who is Lex for?
Lex is for any dyslexic or learing difficulties user with a computer system, who wants near instant, easy and accurate access to printed (via scanner or LexCam) or electronic format documents.
It has been designed with the aid of dyslexia assessors and dyslexic students at Bristol University in the UK, to ensure its features are as honed as possible.
Lex could be your ideal system if you:
- Experience a benefit from using coloured overlays or tints when reading.
- Prefer reading documents in a particular type of font.
- Can read documents more easily if the size of the font or spacing between lines is increased slightly.
- Find that when reading a whole page of text, the characters or words move around and it becomes difficult to follow the document.
- Find that you can more quickly understand a passage of text if someone reads it out loud to you either at the same time as you are reading it, or separately.
- Need to read or study more than one language.
What are Lex's benefits?
Lex features many benefits for dyslexic users as well as benefits over traditional dyslexic applications including:
- Users read faster and comprehend more of their document: This is Lex's number one benefit. With its advanced text visualisations and styling modes, users can find their perfect viewing style which makes reading far easier and more enjoyable. This can also be combined with speech output to further increase reading speed and degree of document comprehension.
- Ease of use: Lex has been designed to be as intuitive to use as possible. Sensibly grouped features, easy access toolbars with specially designed icons make it possible for users to start using the software with no training at all!
- Acquire and store entire text books (in minutes with LexCam): Use standard flatbed scanners (from version 1.1 onwards) or the recommended LexCam to capture documents and books at up to 20 pages per minute. Once documents have been captured or scanned, they can be stored on your computer, meaning you never need to carry them with you again! Lex even remembers your exact position in each document when you re-open it.
- Incredible accuracy: Lex uses the latest OCR (optical character recognition) technologies to ensure it is as accurate as possible. This means importing poor quality image based PDF files or previously scanned documents still give excellent results.
- Licensed for 3 installs per user: Install the Lex software on up to 3 machines with every purchase, allowing the user to read and transfer their documents to multiple machines.
- Multi-touch support: Lex fully utilises the power of multi-touch on Microsoft Windows 7 to make the software more accessible. Simply double tap on a word to start reading from it or use pinch zoom for example.
- Import and Export your documents: Import any existing electronic format document - PDF, Word, Email etc and reformat and read it directly in Lex. Export (including Quick Export) documents to Word, txt, RTF, MP3. MP3 export can be very useful as a revision aid. (Please note for most document import formats, either Microsoft Office is required or a suitable PDF printer).
- Quality of speech: Using the latest natural sounding voices, Lex's voices are clear and easy to listen to for long periods.
- Automatic language switching: Lex is the only dyslexia software currently available that features the revolutionary automatic language detection and switching. This makes it ideal for users wanting to read more than one language - even on the same page!
* Mac users must be running OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or newer, together with VMWare Fusion 4.0 or newer with Windows 7.