OrCam Learn DSA is one of the newest additions to the OrCam range. It has been developed to support students with learning challenges such as dyslexia or reading fatigue. It is only available to students via Disabled Students Allowance (DSA).
OrCam Learn is a game-changing, revolutionary tool for learning, that empowers students with learning challenges to read any text and strengthens reading fluency and comprehension.
- Read with it
- Talk with it
- Learn with it
- Thrive with it
Use the OrCam Learn in any environment, including low-light, and without any internet connectivity. The device can be easily used to read any kind of printed or digital text.
Simple to use, with just a simple touch of a button information is read aloud, listen privately with wireless headphones (wired connection available as well) or out loud via the device’s internal speaker or connect to a wireless speaker.
Spot read single words of interest as well as read a whole A4 page of information. With the added ability to also increase the length of time between each spoken word, the OrCam Learn can adapt to each student's individual needs so they can listen to information at their chosen reading pace.
- Spot reading - Locate the red arrow just below the text you want to read, the OrCam Learn will then read this word to you.
- Area - A landscape red rectangle allows users to accurately frame an area of text to read, the OrCam Learn can capture a whole A4 document, to do this simply rotate your document 90 degrees to landscape or turn your OrCam Learn 90 degrees in your hand, the Area box will now be able to capture the whole A4 page.
Activating OrCam Learn’s ‘Exam Mode’ ensures there is no possibility of any WiFi or Bluetooth connectivity. This offline setting complies with school exam requirements and guarantees students complete examinations securely and independently.
- The lightest most portable reading device in the world
- Converts any printed text into clear speech within a second
- Simple to use with just 4 tactile controls
- Read by pointing the OrCam Learn towards any text and pressing a button
- Unique laser targeting indicator
- Adjust your settings via vocal commands
- Access to OrCam Learn tutorial videos via the OrCam Learn App
What is DSA
Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) is support to cover the study-related costs you have because of a mental health problem, long term illness or any other disability.
Who can apply?
You can apply for Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) if you live in England and have a disability that affects your ability to study.
Disabilities might include specific learning difficulties, for example dyslexia or ADHD. Or a mental health condition, for example anxiety or depression. It also includes physical disability, for example if you have to use crutches, a wheelchair or a special keyboard or have a sensory disability, for example if you’re visually impaired, deaf or have a hearing impairment.
You must also be an undergraduate or postgraduate student (including Open University or distance learning), qualify for student finance from Student Finance England, and be studying on a course that lasts at least a year.
The application process:
Access to DSA funding does not depend on household income and does not need to be repaid. You can apply online if you are a full-time student in England and are applying for other support from Student Finance England at www.gov.uk/studentfinance